Sunday, July 20, 2008

Suicide Stinkbomber

So I was sitting at church the other day waiting for basketball to start and a lady siting there with three kids has to go into an interview as she is preparing to join the church. She is a Spanish speaker, and I offer to watch the kids so the interview can be done in relative peace and quiet.

The kids turn out to be an interesting bunch. The oldest, Jennifer is 11 and very intelligent and reserved. The youngest, Melvin, is mischievous - 5 years old and full of energy. The middle child happens to have something in common with me as his name is Armando. He tells me he is from outer space, and I sorta believed him. It takes about 30 seconds to establish some trust with them.

Turns out that was the worst mistake I made that night. As I'm busy telling the kids how much fun they'll have going to activities, and playing volleyball and soccer in the churchs' gym area, Armando was busy preparing a stink-bomb, which he threw in my direction right as momma was heading out from the interview and all had to get up. I see the kids rush toward her, smell rotten eggs, and hear Armando giggling, and the jig was up. I was ready to wallop the little hellion right in front of the future member of the fold. I shook my fist at him and couldn't help but grin. He had won the battle, but when he's stuck being a donkey in the church Christmas play, I'll be the one having the last laugh.

No comments: