Friday, November 28, 2008

Gardea


When I was like 6 or 7 years old, my brother Rick was just learning to speak and put words and sentences together. He quickly became a master at stringing funny stuff together, and remains a master of comedic timing to this day. I don't remember when it happened, but one of his best malapropisms ever was combining the words "great" and "idea" to form one of the words I have loved most in my life, "gardea". I think this word should be propagated throughout the English speaking world. I'm perfectly content to keep it within the family, but then again, not really. I felt to share it with all, and there you have it. Maybe the word should have an apostrophe, but I wouldn't know where to put it, since the 'gar' part was a mispronunciation of 'great' by the young Ricky. I guess that would place the apostrphe near the front, rendering it g'ardea, but the word combines before the 'dea' part, so maybe it should have two apostrophes, to make it "g'ar'dea", but nah. To simplify, I'll just leave it with no apostrophe. My brother's contribution to the English language is:

gardea: noun. - A great idea. "Ricky interjected saying, 'I've got a gardea - let's start a shell company in the Cayman Islands and sell bootleg Simpsons gear'."




1 comment:

Tashie said...

That's a gardea. Or as my dad would say, "Ess a perty goo' one!"