Thursday, July 31, 2008

Reunited, and yeah, it feels so good.





Well, after a couple of miserable months of misery my baby and I are back together. It was a rough time for me, but it feels good to know that once again, things are as they should be, and we will never be parted again.

Yes folks, I got my Scout back, and that my friends, is a good thing. It had been stuck for two months, all by it's lonesome in the wasteland and wilderness they call Grants, New Mexico. The only saving grace for that town is it's proximity to about the nicest U-haul franchisee around, (but she's actually in Milan, so it really doesn't even improve Grants' case) I think the U-haul lady was named Dottie. In any case, while completing my move from Utah to Texas, the ol' Scout decided to take a little break and commune with the common folk in NM for a while. But this weekend I went back to pick it up, and it truly hasn't been happier- it's running like the beast it is.

My brother, Rick accompanied me on this mission, and we had a heck of a time. Truth be told, we raised hell, and ain't apologizing fer it! One of our stops was at the Billy the Kid Museum in Fort Sumner, NM. We communed with the Kid and let the outlaw spirit pierce us to the very core.

We headed to Lubbock, TX for a meeting with renowned International Shaman/Renaissance man 'Mike' to talk shop and get some some ideas on how to help the Scout last forever. Believe me, his knowledge was expansive. I was sad I only had a few minutes in town to swap ideas, but I did get some panels to replace the parts that had rusted out on the Scout, so at some point, that baby WILL look like new again. We passed through some strange sounding towns on the way, like Zuzax, Muleshoe, and Texico, where across the state line in Farwell, TX, gasoline could be purchased for 3.62 a gallon. It made me proud to be a Texan again. Rick noticed a town called Taiban, NM and while I thought it sounded like some newfangled workout program, Ricky made the astute observation that it would suck if someone were to stick an 'L' between the A and the I on that town's signs.

"That was the ugliest horse I've ever seen"

Was what I thought as we drove into Mason, TX. It was so orange looking, and shaggy. And it was just waddling around in the middle of the road.

Until I finally swerved to miss hitting it and realized I was evading contact with a llama! It was like 1:30 in the morning and this llama is just kickin' it on the streets of Mason, TX. I didn't know if it was cool or sad that this was occurring , and finally decided it was probably both.

Later that night we had to stop and ask for directions as highway 87 promptly turned into a neighborhood and came to a T intersection. When we asked the rather toothless gas station attendant the way to go, she gladly obliged with directions and added " Y'all better watch out fer them cops, they's jerks. - They see a license plate whu don't say Brady on it, they, gon' stop you an give ya ticket, say yer tailights out." Fortunately no such thing happened, but at least we heeded the warnings of the local folk and drove within the permissible speed limit. If I had to guess, the young lady's name, I'd say it had to be Starla or Brandine. No offense to any Starlas or Brandines perusing this blog, of course.

I finally made it home and then to church to find out that a guy at my local church congregation has a man-crush on me. He went so far as to tell me in the few times he had talked to me that he thought I was an "amazing guy". It was a little weird, and I don't know why, but hearing that made me want to reciprocate a bit. Takes one to know one, I guess.

I went to a meeting on emergency preparedness tonight. It's good, because it is now officially hurricane season in Houston. We listened for ways to stock up on supplies, and how to properly evacuate town and how to subsist off of household furniture and fixtures after the food is gone. For correctly answering a question about wildfires, I won my choice out of a grab-bag of emergency preparedness goodies - I chose a 5 to 7 day supply of toilet paper (depending on your average usage,) and attached to it was a chapstick size container of advil. Yippee!

As I left to my car to leave, I found this Alonzo Mourning basketball card from 1995 on the ground in nearly mint condition. I'm trying to figure out what it means still, but I'm having trouble coming up with anything, so I guess I'll just pray about it.



peace out, yo

No comments: