Sunday, October 28, 2007

from the 'other blog' archives: may . '06: A note to Pop, and the Davinci code?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euBQ7cwpHL8


May 18
On the cusp of something great
So my mighty spurs kept pounding away at the rock last night and pulled out a win, this one ultimately decided by the players, and not on the free throw line. Michael Finley showed us
again why he was signed, throwing a ridiculously vicious dunk down on Erick Dampier, already having blown by former mate Dirk Nowitzki. I feel good about their chances for friday nights game. A chance for two game 7's in the first round? Maybe 3? The league should be salivating at this. I hope Pop lets nazr and rasho come in to contribute on the defensive end sometime - it seems that may be the cause of the Spurs not being able to stop Dallas as before. Maybe he's trying to force Timmy to take over, or prove that he can out Dallas- Dallas,what with the small ball and all that. But I really feel they need to get back to spurs basketball and rely on their defensive model that got them to where they are. Nevertheless, I trust his leadership.

After the game i went on a late night hike with some friends to Red Butte Gardens just to the east of the
U. We were supposed to end up at this place called the living room, which is supposedly a bunch of large rocks which were nice for sitting on and enjoying the breezy summit, but ended up on a wild goose chase which ended up about a quarter of a mile away from said living room, with half a mountain to climb before we could actually get there. So we decided to call it a night since everyone had stuff to do... Ah well. At least the view was good from where we were, albeit the rocks that we sat on were a lot pointier than we had hoped. At least we didn't have to have a chopper airlift us outta there. It was scary though, going downhill in the dark seemed a lot harder, though physically less strenuous than up. And I snagged my shorts on a tree, losing half my left pocket. I felt like a kid again trying to run ahead on the way down and hide in the bushes to make my friends have to find me. I had a great spot too, but was foiled when a smart thinking friend called my cell phone and unceremoniously revealed my location. I should have known to set it to silent. (See, that type of thing never happened when I was six.)

I've been reading the DaVinci Code, and it's true what they say - the book moves lightning quick. I'm kind of excited to see the movie in spite of the negative press its been getting. I've always loved wordplay and brainteasers and have been fascinated with certain fraternal organizations (which shall remain unnamed) for a while, so this book is a nice melding of the two themes for me so far. I'm kinda wary about Tom Hanks playing the lead. all I can think about when i see him in movies is Him playing the giant floor piano in 'Big' or the wacko eponymus suburbanite in 'the 'burbs'.

No comments: