Sunday, October 28, 2007

from the 'other blog' archives: Nov. '05 Steinbeck and George Herriman

Nov 22 2005


The Log from the sea of Cortez
So I've been reading the log from the sea of cortez, by John steinbeck, and I'll admit it, i am pretty much in love with steinbeck. He's like the johnny cash of literature, his stories are full of truth and are sometimes dark , but long for redemption. I think (part of) an apt description of this book would have to include that it's 'steinbeck at his crotchtiest'. He just rings true to me, (as to so many others of course), but i sit here as one who has hardly experienced life as such, and to that end, i can say very little. I may be verbose, but those words cannot ring quite as true - i dont know if my depth of experience can ring toward anyones' perception of truth.

Read the book though. Think about where you stand in this ecosystem, and where this ecosystem stands in the scheme of this universe. and forget about whats on tv tomorrow. cause it ain't gonna ring as true as experience. just ask the guy who got to photograph that eel from so close.

tell me i'm trite - it's okay, as long as it's true...


later that day:

November 22
George Herriman: Genius
I don't know if i have made it obvious enough that i love cartoons and cartoon art. I probably haven't since this is like my third entry, but i want to make that obvious first and foremost. Soon enough I'll be publishing my work musings on the diving board: my poolguy life. And i think i have to acknowledge a huge debt of gratitude to john porcellino who wrote diary of a mosquito abatement man, among other excellent works. (thank Low's Rob Sally for introducing that to so many of us.) But i digress. Calvin and hobbes is a lifework approaching genius. bill Watterson is far too modest in writing to admit this but his work is that good. Calvins life is so shared in this work that Bill connects to each of us and we feel his influence in our lives whether laughing at life and it's hyperbolic fancies, or shaking our heads at its oddities and frailties. Alan and Mimi of Low put it nicely when they sang Sometimes I could just choke my self with laughter, sometimes everything's so true... the comic strip medium introduces those feelings to us. buy yerself a compilation book. Go to goodwill to find one if you have to. just make sure that several of those make it into your collection.

No comments: