Sunday, October 28, 2007

from the 'other blog' archives: Dec . '05 granny's carpet


bananaman and danger mouse

Sometimes its hard not to wish to be back in those days where a plastic palette with a set of markers and watercolors included made for a more than ample prize... i find myself becoming way too demanding, maybe even needy with this life we got here and it just ain't right. Went to the hillside village convalescent home and caroled to the residents with a group of fellow twentysomethings - it was grand, ya know, (all i want is to be happy man,) n' i wondered why it was so tough for that to happen, but of course, i already know everything and realized (remembered) that it's because it's so worth it, right? The trouble and fuss we make to be happy invariably makes us stronger or more fulfilled, or maybe it just helps us realize that it ain't so bad to not be happy all the time and enjoy everything this existence brings. Or maybe enjoy the thought at what the next one surely will. whatever...
all will be well when I'm reading the K chronicles and 'I saw you' ads in the next leftist weekly...

All of you should be priviledged to meet Nanette Richardson one day. (for those of you who don't know I am Mormon) and Nanette (Sister Richardson) was my Sunday school teacher for some 8 years and has just been an amazing influence on my life. My mom and Dad instilled truth and indoctrinated the basic right and wrong which I needed in my life. Sister Richardson helped me learn to assimilate those things into my life and character... she helped me learn to learn and do those things for myself... not just because they were right , but because, I knew they were right and it wouldn't reflect who I truly am to not live those beliefs. And if you follow the previous link, you will see her art gallery (ies?) in San Antonio. It's rare to have afriend like Nanette, and she has done me and my family a huge service by expecting a lot out of us.

As i mentioned before, my family is really tight. My Mom and Dad were both born in Eagle Pass, TX and despite moves to Moorehead, MN (adjacent to Fargo North Dakota, where me an' my sister were born); and subsequent moves to San Antonio, and later Universal City, TX, I don't think Eagle Pass ever left us. My grandparents on my mom's side still live and work there, as a chef, and beautician, both running their own business from add-ons to their home. I could go on forever writing about my memories there, and I think I will, soon enough. It was in the bedroom across from theirs that i was introduced to Calvin and Hobbes, thanks to my uncles' appreciation of fine comics. I remember how cold that room would get with the little wall unit air conditioner they had there, and the weird red carpeting they had with a yellowish triangluar tesselation design. (I think the triangles had some strange paisley effect to them? ) I loved that strange carpet for some reason, and felt particularly sad when i almost ruined it after swallowing a whole package worth of gigantic globs from a package of big league chew. Strange little boy i was... I 've been far too random in these little blurbs, and hopefully i'll learn to be more cohesive in this online thingy, but hopefully if anyone ever reads, this, it can be enjoyed by a few of you. I gotta feeling I'll be writing to myself a lot with this thing.

I cant Believe People Deep Fry Turkeys!
I know it's supposedly really good and all, but I just cant fathom that much grease content in an already detrimental feast. I found out this thanksgiving that walk the line twice during my stay in san antone, and wondered if ol' johnny had good mexican food while doing basic training down here. I wondered if vivian's family was still in San antonio and what they thought of ginnifer goodwin's portrayal of her... I thought it was a good love story, and given the constraints of having to appeal to a pop audience the movie was good. It was understandably not an exploration of the weighty matters of Cash's life and pretty much romanticizes his problems and makes him a hero almost because of them... (I still liked it.)

Anyways... i gotta head off to school - i didnt mean to ramble but hanging out with my family was awesome, if all too short.

originally posted to MSN spaces blog : 'shadylane' december 2005
4:19 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment

No comments: