Sunday, October 28, 2007

from the 'other blog' archives: may . '06: Series end, mickey at work

May 23
Fin
Well, the series is over now. The Spurs lost to Dallas, and things seem just a little off kilter for us Spurs fans. I have nothing to write about the owner. I will only say this: I feared the departure from Spurs basketball was too great a risk, and it has turned out to be so. It almost worked out - albeit not perfectly. the Spurs almost out-Dallased Dallas with a four guard attack, but i think they ran out of gas and made a few too many mistakes. I do the same things in my own life, so i'm not going to curse Pop and die, but it wasn't fun to see them struggle in OT last night and go back for more. Meanwhile, digging yourself into a 20 point hole and allowing Dallas to shoot 83% from the field in a quarter is inexcusable, though credit must be given to Dallas for coming out with that blistering shooting. I really felt like a few different looks here and there could have gone a long way towards helping the spurs cause. But now we'll have to wait and see what adjustments are made for the upcoming season.

Soon I will be in Texas. I'm going to go down for the month of July and I'm really looking forward to it, although it will pretty much be a month of work. It will be great to be out in the sun, though, and spend time with family. Then a weekend in Chicago for
pitchfork and off to wyoming for a campout. It will be fun.

I've taken to archiving old famly pictures on my computer, and its turned out to be a pretty rewarding process. I hope I can put together a good little family album or collage for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Interesting roadblock on my way to work: a 50 foot tall hot air balloon of Mickey Mouse right in the middle of the road leading to the building i work in - next to the
City Library in Salt Lake City. Apparently it's Disney's 50th anniversary or something like that, hence Mickey was sporting gigantic golden ears. Talk about a surreal sight to see as you turn the corner at 6:30 in the morning. Here's some more info about Hot Air Mickey:
Balloon facts: - Mickey's giant gold ears span 53 feet - If Mickey's body were added to the balloon he would stand over 200 feet tall! - Pupils: 6 feet wide - Nose: 5 1/2 feet wide - Weight: Approximately 410 pounds - Thread Used: Approximately 9 miles - Gold Fabric for Ears: Approximately 750 square yards - The balloon fits in a bag 1,400 times smaller than the fully inflated balloon. The Happiest Celebration on Earth continues throughout the summer at Disneyland, where guests can experience all new attractions, including "Turtle Talk," "Buzz Lightyear" and a faster, darker "Space Mountain." source: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/May2006/02/c9827.html
whoo hoo - really. I wish I had my camera with me at the time.

Vicente Fox will be at my favorite
local eatery today. I guess he means 'beansness' with this trip. If you're reading, Foxy, I highly suggest the carne asada, whether in a burrito or stuffed in tacos. My grandpa liked it, and he's a mexican chef (and American Business owner, as well as my grandma)....

No comments: